1 General Browsing Information - If you visit our web or mobile site to read or download information, or one of our apps, we may collect and store the following general information in order to analyze trends, gather broad demographic information, and monitor site traffic patterns that can help us further develop and improve the design and functionality of our site: your computer's IP address, browser type, mobile device type, and operating system, the date and time you access our site, the Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our site; and the various pages that you visit while on our site.
2Personally-Identifiable Information - We will explicitly notify you before we collect any personally-identifiable information about you (e.g. your name, email address, contact information, credit card number, etc.), and will not collect any information unless you choose to provide it to us. This information may be shared within NWF's family of organizations for the purposes of fulfilling your orders and requests, responding to any comments or questions you submit and/or providing follow-up information about our organization, or analysis to help us better understand our member and supporter base. We may outsource to third parties one or more of these functions.
Likely situations when you make personal data available to NWF include, but are not limited to: (i) registration for Services, contests and special events; (ii) accessing Services using a third party ID, such as social networking sites or gaming services; (iii) subscribing to newsletters; (iv) purchasing a product or services through NWF’s online stores; (v) using “tell a friend,” "email this page," or other similar features; (vi) requesting technical support; and (vii) otherwise through use of NWF Services where personal data is required for use and/or participation.
The types of personal data may vary depending on the type of activity you are engaged in. The personal data NWF may collect, process and use may include, but are not limited to your name, screen/nick name, NWF Services’ or third party service ID, e-mail address, phone number, photo or other image, birth date, sex, address, friend connections, avatar image, credit card information, shipping information; and location (only if directly identifiable to you, otherwise NWF treats location as non-personal data).
If you choose to use NWF’s "tell a friend" or a similar service about NWF Services or order a gift certificate for your friend, NWF will store your friend's name and contact details that you provide to NWF.
NWF may use and disclose to NWF’s partners and contractors the collected non-personal data for purposes of analyzing usage of the Services, advertisement serving, managing and providing the Services and to further develop the Services and other NWF services and products.
From time to time, we may send information to you via e-mail from other organizations that we believe may be of interest to you or can provide services that will be of use to you, or we may share your postal address with such organizations. We may share your email address with other organizations that may advance the goals and objectives of NWF EcoLeaders Initiative and NWF. If you receive an e-mail from us, you may choose not to receive such messages in the future by following the "unsubscribe" link which we put in the footer at the bottom of each e-mail. We provide a similar opt out process in our postal mailings. If you prefer that we not exchange your name with other reputable organizations or if you wish to modify future marketing offers from NWF via postal mail, please call 1-800-822-9919. If you have further questions or concerns, please email us at EcoLeaders@nwf.org.
4Publicly Sharing Your Comments and Stories - National Wildlife Federation often receives information from website visitors who have successfully participated in our programs and/or employed our resources. In certain instances, we would like to publicly share the comments and stories we receive by posting this information on our website. We will not, however, publicly share ANY information we receive on our website without first receiving the express consent of the individual who submitted the information. Furthermore, we will not post information in any way that specifically identifies the sender of that information unless the sender approves it.
5Children's Information - National Wildlife Federation provides a special place on our web site for children and we encourage parents and guardians to visit this part of our site with their children. We respect the privacy of children, and do not collect any more personal information than reasonably necessary to enable them to participate in the activities we offer at our Web site. We do not have any agreements with outside organizations to collect personal information at our site. The information we collect from children is used to respond to children's specific requests to participate in activities such as:
- contests or sweepstakes
- subscription to an online newsletter
- voting in polls or otherwise expressing an opinion
- sending electronic greeting cards
- to tailor/customize the visitor's experience at our site
We do not share children's personal information with anyone other than those who provide support for the internal operations of the Web site and our agents (e.g., contractors who provide fulfillment services or technical support to the Web site). Parents can review the information that we have collected from their children online, prevent the further use or maintenance of such information, or direct the deletion of their children's personal information by emailing us at this address: KidZone@nwf.org.
6Cookies, beacons and tracking – NWF may use “cookies” and other technologies such as pixel tags, clear GIFs and web beacons. NWF treats information collected by cookies and similar technologies as non-personal data. A cookie is a small file stored on your hard disk drive. Cookies may contain different types of information such as site preferences and login information.
E-mails and other electronic communications NWF sends to you may contain code that enables NWF to track your usage of the communication, including whether the communication was opened and/or what links were followed (if any). NWF may combine that information to other information NWF has about you and NWF may use that information to improve the Services and/or provide customized communications to you.
7Third Party Terms and Conditions - Please note that your access to and use of the Services may be subject to certain third party terms and conditions and privacy policies, including but not limited to application stores, mobile software platforms, on-line gaming platforms, social networking services and payment providers. You recognize and agree that NWF is not liable for any such third party terms and conditions and their use of your personal data.
NWF may in its discretion make available links through advertisements or otherwise enable you to access third party products or services. Please note that, while using such products or services, you are using products or services developed and administered by people or companies not affiliated with or controlled by NWF. NWF is not responsible for the actions of those people or companies, the content of their products or services, the use of information you provide to them, or any products or services they may offer. The fact that NWF is linking to those products or services does not constitute our sponsorship of, or affiliation with, those people or companies.
8Other Security Measures - We provide our members and supporters with a secure experience when they are ordering memberships, making a donation, or buying nature education merchandise. Our technical security measures include using industry standard 128bit encryption to secure the transfer of data between your browser and our servers. Although we will use all reasonable means to safeguard the privacy of your personal information, transmissions made via the Internet cannot be made absolutely secure.
When our forms ask users to enter sensitive information (such as a credit card number), that information is encrypted and is protected with the best encryption method in the industry -Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). While on a secure page, such as our membership form, the lock icon on the bottom of Web browsers such as Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer becomes locked, as opposed to un-locked, or open.
Please be aware of the open nature of certain social networking and other open features of the Services NWF may make available to you. You may choose to disclose data about yourself in the course of contributing user generated content to the Services. Any data that you disclose in any of these forums, blogs, chats or the like is public information, and there is no expectation of privacy or confidentiality. NWF is not responsible for any personal data you choose to make public in any of these forums.
If you are under 13 years of age or a minor in your country of residence, please ask your legal guardian’s permission to use or access the Services. NWF takes children’s privacy seriously, and encourages parents and/or guardians to play an active role in their children's online experience at all times. NWF does not knowingly collect any personal information from children below the aforementioned age and if NWF learns that NWF has inadvertently gathered personal data from children under the aforementioned age, NWF will take reasonable measures to promptly erase such personal data from NWF’s records.
National Wildlife Federation reserves the right to amend this policy at any time as needed. We will post changes here, so please check back periodically. Changes will take effect when posted and your continued use of the site will constitute your agreement to the changes. Thank you.
11100 Wildlife Center Drive
Reston, VA 20190
BY CLICKING “I AGREE”, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THESE TERMS. NWF may revise these terms from time to time. If you continue to use our website after we post changes to these terms, it will mean that you accept such changes.
- License to Use the Site
This Site is owned by NWF. All materials placed on this Site by NWF, including, but not limited to artwork, photographs, maps, data, computer code, text, trademarks, service marks, logos, blogs, articles, body of knowledge, message boards, groups, videos and the like ("NWF Content") are the exclusive property of NWF or our contributors and are protected by intellectual property laws. Your use of the Site and NWF Content is for your own use under a license from NWF and/or its contributors, subject to the restrictions set forth herein. No portion of the NWF Content may be copied, downloaded, reproduced, reused, distributed, transmitted, or modified for any purpose, unless otherwise stated. Any unauthorized use of the NWF Content may violate copyright laws, trademark laws, and other applicable laws.
In using the Site, You must not:
- transfer, assign, or sub-license any NWF Content, User Content or material from the website to a third party;
- sell, redistribute, damage, disable or reproduce the Site, including software, nor may you decompile, reverse engineer, or disassemble the Site;
- exploit the Site, NWF Content, User Content or any material the Site for a commercial purpose, including posting commercial communications (such as spam);
- collect NWF Content, User Content and any other user information using automated means;
- upload viruses or other malicious code;
- advertise or promote certain products or services on the Site unless given permission in an advance arrangement with NWF.
- User Content
You own all of the content and information you post on the Site, including photos, reports, videos, graphs, charts, writings and the like (hereinafter “User Content”). You represent and warrant that you are the author of the User Content or have the right to post such User Content, and that such User Content does not infringe or violate any rights of any third party, including publicity rights. When you post User Content to the Site, you understand that you are allowing NWF and users to access and use that information. By posting User Content that is covered by intellectual property rights, including photos, reports, videos, graphs, charts, writings and the like (hereinafter “IP Rights”), you grant NWF a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP Rights in any manner throughout the world and into perpetuity, in any existing or future media now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to you.
- Registration Obligations
If and when You register to become a member of the Site, you agree to: (a) provide true, accurate, complete, and current information (such information being the "Registration Data") and (b) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data to keep it true, accurate, current, and complete. You acknowledge and agree that, if any information provided by you is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, we reserve the right to terminate Your use of the Site and/or remove any User Content you have provided from the Site.
As part of the registration process, You will be asked to select a username and password. We may refuse to grant you a username, password and/or domain name that impersonates someone else, is or may be illegal, is or may be protected by trademark or other proprietary rights law, is already in current use, is vulgar or otherwise offensive, may cause confusion, or for any other reason as determined by us in our sole discretion. You are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality of your username and password, and you agree not to transfer or resell your use of or access to the Site to any third party. If You have reason to believe that Your account is no longer secure, you must promptly change your password by immediately emailing us at EcoLeaders@nwf.org. You are solely responsible for any and all activities, whether by you or anyone else (including without limitation purchases) conducted through your account.
- Community Guidelines
This is a social community website for supporters of NWF. NWF encourages open discussion while keeping the messages and comments respectfully and friendly. NWF is under no obligation to monitor, filter or prescreen User Content; however You acknowledge and agree that NWF has the right (but not the obligation) to monitor the Site, including User Content. By participating on this page, you are agreeing to our Community Commenting Policy which is listed below:
NWF does not control the User Content You or other Users deliver to the Site. In using the interactive services on the Site, You agree that you will not post, transmit, or otherwise distribute or facilitate distribution of any User Content that:
- uses profanity or personal attacks;
- is unlawful, harassing, defamatory, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, or tortious, contains content of a sexual nature, or uses vulgar language;
- promotes violence, illegal or questionable activities, victimizes, harasses, or intimidates an individual or group of individuals on the basis of religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, or disability;
- infringes on the intellectual property or other proprietary right of any party;
- contains willful misinformation or off-topic or irrelevant posts;
- constitutes unauthorized or unsolicited advertising unrelated to wildlife, junk or bulk email, spam mail, chain letters, or any other form of unauthorized solicitation;
- contains software viruses, worms, or any other computer code, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt or damage any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment or to obtain unauthorized access to any third party data or other information;
- is unrelated to the focus of the online community;
- advertises or promotes certain products or services on the Site unless given permission in an advance arrangement with NWF. Descriptions, images or listings of, or links or references to, products or services on the Site do not imply NWF’s endorsement of such products or services. NWF is not responsible in any manner for such third party products and services;
- plagiarizes the work of another; or
- supports, endorses or campaigns for or against a political candidate, party, referendum or political action committee (PAC), or constitutes activism inconsistent with the strategic plan of NWF, or creates the impression that NWF supports a candidate, party, referendum, PAC, or position over another.
You also agree that You will not collect information about the users of this Site or use such information for any purpose. In addition, You agree that You will not knowingly solicit or collect personal information from a minor (anyone under 18 years of age). Personal information includes, but is not limited to, name, nick name, address, phone number, email address, or name of their school.
NWF generally does not monitor or edit User Content. NWF does, however, reserve the right, in its sole discretion, to remove any User Content that, in NWF's sole judgment, does not comply with these Community Guidelines, or is otherwise objectionable, inappropriate, or inaccurate or is inconsistent with the strategic plan of NWF. NWF is not responsible for any failure or delay in removing such User Content.
NWF provides tools for You to create content such as blogs, profiles, photo albums, video galleries and other materials. NWF also hosts community message boards and other forums on the Site. Members are expected to abide by the Rules of Conduct that are set forth herein and in the Community Guildelines/Rules of Conduct. If You fail to comply with the Rules of Conduct or these Terms of Service your access to the Site may be terminated.
If You repeatedly violate these Community Guidelines, You will be removed from the Site. If You have any questions, please email EcoLeaders@nwf.org
- Outside Links
NWF may provide hyperlinks from the Site to third party sites as a convenience to users (“Linked Sites”). NWF does not endorse such third parties or the contents of any such Linked Site. NWF has no control over, makes no representation or warranty and disclaims all liability with respect to such sites. NWF is not responsible in any manner for any content, advertising, products or other materials on or available from any Linked Sites, and NWF shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods and services available on or through any Linked Site.
- Copyright Policy.
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the "DMCA") provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes their rights under the U.S. copyright law. If You believe in good faith that materials hosted by NWF infringe your copyright, you, or your agent, may send NWF notice requesting that the material be removed or access to it be blocked with the following information: (a) identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works; (b) identification of the claimed infringing material and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material on the Site. Providing the URL(s) of the claimed infringing material satisfies this requirement); (c) information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact You, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an email address; (d) a statement by You that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; (e) a statement by You, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in Your notification is accurate and that You are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf; and (f) Your physical or electronic signature. NWF’S Copyright Agent for notification of claimed infringement can be reached as follows: Office of General Counsel, National Wildlife Federation, 11100 Wildlife Center Drive, Reston, Virginia 20190. Any notification by a copyright owner or a person authorized to act on its behalf that fails to comply with requirements of the DMCA shall not be considered sufficient notice and shall not be deemed to confer upon NWF actual knowledge of facts or circumstances from which infringing material or acts are evident. If You believe in good faith that a notice of copyright infringement has been wrongly filed against You, the DMCA permits You to send NWF a counter-notice. All notices and counter notices must meet the then current statutory requirements imposed by the DMCA; see http://www.copyright.gov/ for details. NWF suggests that You consult your legal advisor before filing a notice or counter-notice. Also, be aware that there can be penalties for false claims under the DMCA.
- Disclaimer, Limitation of Liability and Indemnification
NWF and our contributors and their respective directors, officers, employees, and agents (the "NWF Parties") assume no responsibility for, and offer no warranties or representations regarding, the accuracy, reliability, completeness, or timeliness of any NWF or User Content. Your use of this Site and NWF and User Content is at your own risk. Under no circumstances shall the NWF Parties be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, direct, incidental, special, consequential, indirect, or punitive damages, lost profits, lost data, or business interruption arising out of or your access to, inability to access, or use of, the Site even if NWF has been advised of the possibility of such damages. NWF does not warrant that this Site will be uninterrupted or error free or that this Site, the NWF or User Content, or the Site's server are free of virus. If your use of this Site or the NWF or User Content results in the need for servicing or replacing property, material, equipment, or data, the NWF Parties are not responsible for those costs.
Without limiting the foregoing, this Site, the software, products, services, and the NWF and User Content are provided to you "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NOT INFRINGEMENT. In jurisdictions that prohibit or limit warranty or liability disclaimers, the liability of the NWF Parties shall be limited to the fullest extent allowed by law.
You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold NWF and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents, co-branders or other partners, employees, and representatives, as well as suppliers involved with the Site, harmless from and against any and all claims, damages, losses, costs or expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees) that arise directly or indirectly out of or from (a) your breach of these TOS, including any violation of the Rules of Conduct; (b) any allegation that any User Content that you submit to NWF infringes or otherwise violates the copyright, trade secret, trademark or other intellectual property or privacy rights of a third party, and (c) your activities in connection with the Site.
- Sweepstakes, Contests, and Games.
Any sweepstakes, contests, and games that are accessible
through the Site are governed by specific rules, which are linked from the particular activity. By entering such sweepstakes or contests or participating in such games you are subject to those rules-please remember to read them carefully.
- Disclaimer regarding Professional Advice.
Your use of the Site is at your own risk. NWF Content contains information, data, advice, text and other materials compiled from a variety of third party sources. NWF in no way endorses any of these materials, which are provided for your convenience, and are solely intended to broaden user understanding and knowledge of remote support topics.
- Variation of Terms
NWF may revise these terms from time to time with the revised term taking effect as of the date of its posting.
If any term is held to be unenforceable, the unenforceable portion shall be construed in accordance with applicable law to the greatest extent possible and the remainder of the provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
- Choice of Law and Venue
These terms shall be construed according to the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, United States of America, without regard to conflict of law principles. Commonwealth of Virginia courts have exclusive jurisdiction to resolve any claims or disputes relating to this Site or the Content, and you hereby consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts. Any claim or cause of action you may have with respect to this Site must be commenced within one (1) year after the claim or cause of action arises or such claim or cause of action is barred.
- Termination of Access
NWF reserves the right to terminate your access to all or part of this Site, with or without notice.
- No Waiver
Failure of NWF to enforce any of these terms shall not constitute a waiver of such terms or any other terms. No waiver or consent shall be effective against NWF unless in writing and no such waiver or consent shall be construed as a waiver or consent in any other or subsequent instance.
National Wildlife Federation is a 501(c)(3) organization with a charitable mission to inspire Americans to protect wildlife for our children’s future. Any legal notices required or otherwise given to NWF with regard to this Agreement shall be given in writing and shall be delivered and addressed as follows: National Wildlife Federation, Office of General Counsel, 11100 Wildlife Center Drive, Reston, Virginia, 20190.
Welcome to the National Wildlife Federation’s EcoLeaders Initiative Community. The Community is a place where students can:
- Connect with other people interested in campus sustainability and the environment
- Provide feedback on EcoLeader projects and forum posts
- Discuss the latest topics about campus sustainability and the environment
- Share experiences and learn from others
- Gain recognition for leadership skills that are demonstrated through sustainability and environmental efforts
- The EcoLeaders Community thrives on its members and members’ participation
- Stay involved, make comments on projects, add files and pictures, post in the forums, seek new friends
- Invite your friends and colleagues, the more the merrier!
- Post only information that you are comfortable with others seeing — and knowing — about you and your project
- These guidelines are designed to help make participation for everyone a positive experience.
How you talk to others in an online Community is not that different from the way you would talk to others in real life. But there are some things you should be mindful of in an online environment:
- Posting in all caps is the same as SHOUTING
- Don't use offensive language, be rude, use hate speech, or harass or spam other members
- No selling, solicitation, advertisement, or promotion of products or services is permitted on the Network. This is a place to engage with other members in a positive way, not sell your stuff.
- Don't upload copyrighted or illegal materials that don’t belong to you
- Don't upload a picture that you wouldn't show your children — that means no pictures of nudity, or sexual content, violence, weapons, etc.
- If there is an issue you’d like to report, flag the content or action, send a message to the EcoLeaders Initiative at EcoLeaders@nwf.org. Please note that while National Wildlife Federation has no obligation to delete content that you find personally objectionable or offensive, we will do our best to address any problems that may arise.
- When there is a violation of our guidelines below, we may:
- Provide a warning to the offender
- Delete some or all of the content
- Temporarily or permanently terminate the offending member’s account (we don’t want to, so don’t make us)
Community dos and don'ts
- Be sincere in your contributions. Post with purpose - to inspire, enable or share with fellow EcoLeaders.
- Respect that other people have different points of view, styles, and experiences. Don’t take things personally and get to the ‘must look at pictures of kittens to calm down’ stage.
- Welcome newcomers. We love it when another person joins the EcoLeaders Community and participates.
- Give feedback to your fellow members, and us, in a helpful and constructive manner.
- Lead by example Add positive content that shares your opinion and experience, especially content that you think will be helpful to other members.
- Report problems by using the report abuse or flag function to alert us to problem content or members.
- Keep it legal. Don’t get yourself into trouble by defaming others, posting porn, plotting illegal activities, or posting other people’s private information.
- Use Common Sense and balance when seeking advice. Make your own inquiries, especially around subjects like health, safety, and legal matters.
- Be safe and smart when sharing personal information and meeting other members. Don’t let people know when your entire family is going to be out of town and where you live. Use common sense when meeting other members. We’d hate to hear of anything bad happening when people meet up, but we can’t be responsible for the actions of each person in the community.
- Create content of a discriminatory or derogatory nature. Rich debate is wonderful, and you can do it without being offensive, humiliating or intimidating based on:
- race, color, ethnicity, nationality or physical characteristics
- gender or sexual orientation
- religion or non-religious viewpoints (i.e. secular humanism, atheism)
- political opinion
- socio-economic status
- physical, mental or intellectual disability/impairment
- the ways people express themselves (people come from different cultures)
- Create content which would be reasonably classified as exclusively 'adult' and restricted accordingly (such as pornography or graphic violence).
- Defame, harass, flame or hold grudges. You’ll participate better without a chip on your shoulder.
- Impersonate another person, including NWF EcoLeaders Initiative staff or authors.
- Advertise commercial products or services – or openly accuse others of the same. We don’t mind if you include links to your personal blogs or websites in your profiles. However, when doing so, please make those links open up in a new window (i.e., insert the [target=”_blank”] tag into your html links. But commercial solicitation, or contributions solely designed to plug your traffic, aren’t acceptable. If you think you spot someone breaking the rules, use the report abuse or flag function.
- Be - or - feed a Troll. Trolls post messages or content deliberately designed to get the blood boiling. Replying to or arguing with a Troll is feeding. The best pest-control is to ignore, and use the report abuse or flag function to alert us to them.
- Use excessively coarse language. Humans swear. But go easy on the sailor speak or we’ll have to tone you down. Remember, even if it’s not offensive to you, it might be to other people.
- Discuss how to commit illegal activity (like buying drugs, avoiding visa restrictions, ticket scalping). It’s OK to talk about the existence of these things, but don’t advise how and where to do them.
- Be a know-it-all. Show off your insights, not your attitude.
Things to Remember
- This site is for adults only, above the age of 18
- National Wildlife Federation and the EcoLeaders Initiative are not responsible for the content provided by users on the site and the content provided by users is their opinion and not that of National Wildlife Federation and the EcoLeaders Initiative.
- Use common sense when reading any recommendations or advice and always consult a professional (e.g., your doctor, tax accountant, lawyer, etc.) when making any important decisions.
- Our guidelines will evolve over time and we reserve the right to modify or change these guidelines without notice
That’s it! Thanks for joining us!