Campus and community policy is a broad topic and can include involvement with campus, local, state and federal policy; the work of nonprofits; environmental services on campuses and in other institutions; and grassroots community organizations. Regardless of the level or approach, the objective is to alter public policy and social institutions that affect the way we interact with the environment and manage natural resources. In doing so, policy can create new guidelines for land use, reduction of environmental harm, conservation of natural resources, and protect future risks to the natural environment.
There are many ways that you can get involved in campus and community policy, here are a few ideas:
Work with your student government to create and implement policy on campus.
Create a petition initiative in your community.
Attend a town hall meeting to learn more about issues in your community and how you can get involved.
Interested in pursuing a policy-related career? Check out the policy and governance careers outlook in the EcoLeaders Career Center to learn more about careers in the field, hear from professionals and map out your career plan.
Campus and Community Policy EcoLeader Projects
Date Created: 09/03/2020 03:17 PM
Submitted by: David Corsar
Date Created: 03/01/2019 02:43 AM
Submitted by: Valerie Ryba
Campus Climate Challenge
Date Created: 07/09/2018 07:39 PM
Submitted by: Joe Thompson
Climate Action Plan
Date Created: 05/14/2018 03:51 AM
Submitted by: Kristina Haideman
STO Sustainability Map
Date Created: 09/27/2017 02:09 PM
Submitted by: Paul Jackson
- American Student Government Association The American Student Government Association works to provide all Student Government leaders and advisors nationwide with networking, research, and information resources and teaches them how to become more effective, ethical, and influential leaders on their campus.
- Powershift Network The Power Shift Network mobilizes the collective power of young people to mitigate climate change and create a just, clean energy future and resilient, thriving communities for all.
- United States Student Association The United States Student Association is the country’s oldest and largest student-led organization. They work to amplify the student voice by mobilizing grassroots power to win concrete victories on student issues.
- Generation E: Students Leading for a Sustainable, Clean Energy Future 35 ways students are creating a sustainable future at U.S. colleges and universities—cutting carbon emissions, saving resources and equipping the coming generation for a green energy economy
- Guide to Climate Action Planning: Pathways to a Low-Carbon Campus A comprehensive review of the strategies and steps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions on campus, with best practices from U.S. colleges and universities
- Green Investment, Green Return: How practical conservation projects save millions on America's campuses Colleges and universities across America are sending a powerful message that what's good for the environment is also good for the bottom-line.
- Higher Education in a Warming World: The Business Case for Climate Leadership on Campus Highlighting the business, educational, and moral arguments for reducing greenhouse gas emissions on campus, with best practices from U.S. colleges and universities
- University-City Collaborations on Sustainability Research and resources from the University of Colorado, Boulder on examples of successful examples of cities and higher education institutions working together toward sustainability goals.